1 cup heavy cream
1/2 Tsp salt
8 cups whole milk
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 medium-large sieve + 1 cheese cloth
1) Place the heavy cream, whole milk, and salt into a large pot over medium heat.
2) Stir occasionally to prevent burning, keep mixture over medium heat until it starts to bubble and froth (when this happens it will be very obvious. Be patient). Set aside a sieve over a medium-large pot with the cheese cloth over the sieve.
3) When frothing occurs, add lemon juice and reduce to low heat. Stir gently as curds begin to form. Wait at least 2 minutes. If you want smaller curds, you can wait an additional 1-2 minutes.
4) Pour ricotta curd mixture into the other pot with the sieve and cheese cloth. Let drain 10-15min or until desired constancy (the longer you go, the dryer it is). Transfer to a bowl.
5) Cover and chill ricotta in bowl until serving, or keep refrigerated in a tightly sealed container (will last 5-7 days).
NOTE: you can save the whey drippings from making this cheese and use it to fortify soups and smoothies with protein!